Sunday, September 23, 2007

Toronto's "Building Year" Days Are Over?



Well, you can hear it right here. My boss, a very determined and hopeful Leafs fan says that the dynasty is now built. No longer will we hear fans saying that the past season was just a "building year". In fact, in this video he implies that the Toronto Maple Leafs will not only make the playoffs, but emerge from the finals holding the Stanley Cup.

That's quite the promise from a fan who has watched his team miss the playoffs for the second year in a row.

A funny thing happened after this, though. See, I am an Ottawa Senators fan, and hearing this being said, well, I was quite entertained. Miracles have happened in the past, but I cannot see this prediction coming true. Being surrounded by Leafs fans, I have found myself making a few bets on what will happen this season. Not large ones or anything, just betting against Jason Blake getting a hat trick against his former team, and that the Ottawa Senators will make the playoffs, and also that Dany Heatley will get no less than 5 hat tricks this season. Bill, my boss, realized this, so he went proposed another bet: the Toronto Maple Leafs would win 75% of its games against Ottawa. I'm not sure if he was being sarcastic or not, but regardless, I took it. As soon as I upped the payout from 5 to 20 dollars (seeing the success of Ottawa in the past two seasons, how could I not?), Bill suddenly decided to back out.

Interesting.

So I proposed a new bet. I bet Bill 100 dollars that the Ottawa Senators would be the team to win 75% of the games in the 8-game series the teams will be playing this season. Funny enough, he didn't take it. I think he was just scared of losing, because there is a good chance that it would happen. It has happened before. The 2005-2006 season, Ottawa won 7 games out of 8. Next season Ottawa won the season series 5-3.

We'll see what happens this year, Bill. But if things go like they have in the past, it could be a fast 82 games before the Maple Leafs' season comes to an abrupt halt.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Senator fans have too much time on their hands...most likely cause we always end their playoff runs early