Thursday, September 20, 2007

Removing the Docks 2007

The coolest thing so far this year was removing the docks from the South Camp waterfront. It wasn't exactly the hardest job that I have done so far, but it was one of the most time-consuming ones, next to setting up the two stupid portable garages that were "easy set-up, easy take-down", but that is a completely different story.

The best part about taking out the docks, though, was that there was a crane there! Not the animal, but the huge machine that can lift much more than I can. It was awesome! I think it could lift a maximum of 36000 somethings. Pounds or tons, I forget which. I have a video of the crane in action. It's not too exciting and it is rather long and probably not worth watching, but I have nowhere else to put it.





So, yeah. The dock day was pretty fun and exciting. We also moved some giant canoes aka war canoes from Boys' Camp (the big dragon viking one with the brown dragon head, I don't know what they were thinking) and Chemawa (the plain, red one that isn't very exciting). They were so heavy. Whoever moved them up onto shore had them really high up on shore. Mix that with rainwater filling up the insides of the canoes, and the fact that they were already heavy enough to begin with, well, they were just insanely hard to get back into the water to move them close enough for the crane to pick them up. It took me and Alex about half an hour just to do that simple little job.

No comments: